You wouldn’t step into an illegal casino in your own city, so why take the risk when you play online? All online casinos must have a licence to legally operate in the UK. If an online casino offers real money games and betting to UK players, it must be licensed and regulated by the Gambling Commission of Great Britain. The Gambling Commission, previously known as the UKGC, is a regulatory body that licences UK online casinos. The main aim of the Gambling Commission is to ensure online casinos are operating to strict guidelines. The guidelines are there to protect players. Without a valid UK licence, an online casino isn’t legally allowed to advertise to or offer real money games to players in the UK. The Gambling Commission of Great Britain is not the only authority which licenses online casinos. Many other countries have licensing bodies, including Malta and Sweden. The Malta Gaming Authority issues operating licences in Malta. Similarly, the Spelinspektionen (the Swedish Gambling Authority) regulates and licenses online casinos which offer their services to Swedish players.
Casino LicenceOnline casinos should list the licences they hold clearly on their website. Moreover, the casino should display the licence number. If you want to crosscheck the details, to confirm the casino is in fact licensed, you can do so through the licensing bodies themselves. Licensing authorities keep a register of all the online casinos and casino operators which they have granted licences to. In order to obtain an operating licence, an online casino has to adhere to strict regulations. The casinos must prove they operate within the commission’s guidelines in order to obtain a licence. For example, online casinos must prove that they conduct business fairly and transparently. Licensed casinos must also ensure they market and advertise in a responsible way and do enough to protect vulnerable players and prevent underage players from betting. These are some of the ways in which casinos adhere to licensing regulations:
- Employ a fraud team who ensure criminals are not able to exploit the casino’s facilities;
- Implement identity verification checks and prevent underage gambling;
- Market the casino and the casino’s promotions in an honest way, avoiding graphics or phrases that would appeal to children;
- Provide proof that the games are fair and verified; and
- Protect problem gamblers by offering responsible gaming tools.
Licensed Novoline CasinosAs part of our review process, we confirm a casino’s licence before we choose to add them to our list of recommendations. The following Novoline casinos hold UK licences, as well as various international licences:
- Hyper Casino | £300 Bonus + Hyper Fridays Promotion + Competitions
- Yako Caisno | 22 Spins + £222 Bonus + Bonus Bonanza & Free Spins Galore Promos
- Casino Casino | 100% up to £100 + 10% Cashback
- No Bonus Casino | Cashback Casino with No Wagering Requirements!
- Fun Casino | £998 Bonus & 111 Spins + Fun Fridays + Slot Tournaments
- Yeti Casino | £333 Bonus & 100 Spins + Wicked Wednesdays + Cashback Offer
- All British Casino | £100 Bonus + Marvellous Midweek Promo + 10% Cashback
Fair GamesA casino isn’t able to get a licence unless the games it has are all fair and verified. Software providers (the companies who make the games) must be licensed themselves. Novoline games from Novomatic are all fair. Novoline games, along with games from other reputable vendors, have Random Number Generators (RNGs) built into the software. When you shuffle and deal a deck of cards or when you roll a dice, there’s no predicting the outcome as it’s always completely random. Unless, of course, it’s s trick deck or the dice has been tampered with. Online casino games are able to recreate this complete randomness using RNGs. An RNG generates an unpredictable sequence of numbers with every bet or every spin. In turn, this gives a random result every time a player makes a wager. Because the RNGs are actually part of the games, there’s absolutely no way that the results can be manipulated or predicted. Only casinos with fair games, like Novoline games, are awarded operating licences.
Responsible GamingLicensed casinos are honest and trustworthy. They do not take advantage of problem gamblers. If you tell the casino, or they notice, that you have a gambling problem, they are within their right to freeze or close your account and put you in touch with support groups or self-help organisations. Gambling can be addictive and, in light of this, licensed casinos should protect players however they can. There are various tools which casinos offer players to help them gamble responsibly. These include:
- Setting limits on the amount of time you can play for;
- Setting limits to regulate the amount of money you bet, lose or deposit;
- Taking breaks or timeouts;
- Implementing a self-exclusion if necessary.